Cohansey River from Greenwich to Sea Breeze and back
We chose Cohansey on weather perfect Saturday 8/21. at about 11:30 a.m. off we went down with the tide and had a nice lunch on the island at the mouth of the bay.
At the island a nice family in a small yacht pulled up and joined us for a while. They were very familiar with the area and able to tell us about holes, drop-offs, general depths beyond what our maps might show, and also a reliable creek shortcut. Later, we laughed, " and what if this were a horror plot - the short-cut not reliable , but leading to....!"
Seriously though, the friendly input was very confidence building for me, with my my timid streak. O.K. yes. Now I am ready to round East Point at the mouth of the Maurice.
My timidity is not always born out in practice. I tend not to hug the shore as a kayaker might best do sometimes, for fear of bars and shoals. Maybe this comes from sailing in the bay when I was a child. Worse, I tend not to paddle in side by side formation, as close to my fellow paddler as I should. If not side by side, I am learning, should a problem develop, it might not be seen quickly by the paddler in the lead. Sailboats come up so quietly from behind.
The steady and light east wind, and careful planning around tides permitted us after lunch to paddle out around the island, then diagonally across Cohansey Cove to Sea Breeze, take a breather and paddle back along the coast line, quick stop on the island, and back to Greenwich around 6pm. 6 or 7 hours is a typical, comfortable paddle for us.
I am new to this site, and thinking perhaps that Thomas Eakins was among the founders long, long ago. I doubt that I will continue blogging. I do love to write, but yes, it is seductive and time-spending to do this when outside, garden, work, and preparation for fall and winter is before us all. There are maps to be laminated, tides, weather and navigation rules to be studied! I think of Mudjekeewis! mighty west wind.
- About PCC
- Novice Whitewater Kayaking (4-Day) - 06-01-2013
- Novice Training - Whitewater Canoeing (4-Day) - 06/15-16/2013
- Introduction to Whitewater Kayaking (1-Day) : 06-30-2013
- Introduction to Whitewater Kayaking (1-Day) : 07-13-2013
- Introduction to Whitewater Kayaking (1-Day) : 07-20-2013
- Intermediate Whitewater Kayaking (2-Day) - 07/20-21/2013
- Introduction to Whitewater Kayaking (1-Day): 07-27-2013
- Introduction to Whitewater Kayaking (1-Day) : 08-03-2013
- Introduction to Whitewater Kayaking (1-Day) : 08-10-2013
- Introduction to Whitewater Kayaking (1-Day) : 08-18-2013
- Introduction to Whitewater Kayaking (1-Day) : 08-24-2013
- Flat / Moving Water
- How-To Online Training
- Whitewater Trips
- Cheat River Festival, May 3-5
- Lehigh River, May 11
- Stony Creek Rondevous May 17-19
- Memorial Day Yough Trip, May 24-27
- Lehigh River, June 8
- Lehigh River, Whitehaven to Rockport, June 22
- Lehigh River, Rockport to Glen Onoko, June 22
- Lehigh River, June 23
- Lehigh River, July 6
- Lehigh River, July 27
- Lower Yough First Timers, Aug 2-4
- Ottawa River, August 9-16
- Lehigh River, August 24
- Lev's Labor Day Yough Trip
- Tohickon Fall Release, November 2&3
- Flatwater Trips
- Paddling Locations
- River Gauges
- WW River Descriptions
- Flat/Moving River Descriptions
- Whitewater Trips
- Social Events